Wednesday, October 05, 2005

My crazy, neurotic and obsessive boss

There are a total of five people in my office--4 women and one man. Mary is the Adminstrative Assistant, Jon and Rose are my colleagues (though Rose's title makes her technically my and Jon's supervisor) and Eve (as in "The Three Faces of . . .") is our boss.

When I started here in February, everyone got along wonderfully. Soon after I started, I attended a professional conference with Rose and Eve. While I had always thought that Eve was a charming woman, my opinion of her had begun to change before we traveled together, but went completely downhill during the trip. Rose and I, on the other hand, began to bond during that trip and have developed quite a friendship with one another.

Eve, as I have come to find out, has some really serious issues. She is in her late forties and contrary to what she would have you believe is still very insecure about who she is and how she is perceived (which is completely insincere by many). One of her many problems is her inability to understand boundaries.

Rose and I are very into fashion and like to wear things that are unique and express our individual sense of style. Eve, on the other hand, has no sense of her own style and literally buys whatever outfit the visual person has put on a mannequin in the store. The problem is, Eve has taken to not only inquisitioning us as to every little thing that we buy (where did you get it, how much was it, who's the designer, etc.), she will go out and in many instances buy exactly the same thing.

It's a very small office and we work within a closely knit environment. If you have the same thing that someone else has, everyone knows it. Eve needs to grow the fuck up and stop trying to be like Rose and I. She is a grown woman and needs to act like one. We're not in high school anymore!!!

What makes it even worse is that she spends well beyond her means. She is in credit card debt up to her eyeballs (I know this because she tells us this, after she's been shopping) and has absolutely no savings. She has a daughter that will soon be ready for college, she and her husband have no college fund established for her. She's borrowed money from her mother and refinanced her home twice to pay down her debt. Once she pays off the credit cards, she charges them right back up again or spends whatever little bit of money that they do have on clothes and stuff. It's really sad if you ask me.

There's so much more that I could say, but it drives me crazy sometimes just thinking about it. Days at work can be extremely draining and it's not because I've worked so hard at work; it's because I have to "manage" my boss all day. Be back soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home