Friday, October 07, 2005

Chip and Honey

If ever there was an ideal friendship, my friendship with Chip is just that. No matter what the circumstances, what the situation, hell, high water, good, bad and ugly, he has always been there for me and I for him. I think that each of us is meant to experience life changing things during the course of our lives and my relationship with Chip is one of the experiences that I was meant to have.

It's been an interesting dynamic having a man as your best friend and then meeting Honey. Chip has always (aside from my dad) been the man in my life. We've gone to things with each other, over the years, as each others' "date." Chip is in a relationship, but is not comfortable going to certain events with his significant other, though that has definitely changed over the years. Chip and I would do what any best friends do, go shopping together, watch movies, go on trips, stay up all night talking, you name it we've probably done it. Then came Honey.

Honey had decided from very early on, he was going to be my husband. He knew that Chip and I were close, but I don't think he realized the depth of our relationship. In the beginning, Chip and Honey used to "piss on their hydrant" and try to establish their boundaries as far as I went. Chip would say, " . . . as long as he understands his place and mine" or something like that. Honey would just be all out selfish and not want to share. It seemed as though things were balancing out. Honey and I got engaged, but a few months after that, Chip's mother got really sick and passed away.

I didn't want to leave Chip's side . . . I helped with the funeral preparations (as best as I could--I hadn't, prior to Chip's mother's passing, experienced the death of someone close to me) and getting things situated leading up to the funeral. In general, I just wanted to be with him at all times and do whatever needed to be done to keep him comfortable. Honey got really jealous and that was probably the only time that I actually questioned whether or not he was "the one" for me. That for him was the revelation of the depth of my friendship with Chip and I think that he realized that Chip was there before him and if he didn't get his shit together, he was going to be around instead of him. Things have definitely settled down now, but the kinks definitely had to be worked out.

Honey still gets a little bunch in his boxers when I say that Chip is my best friend (Honey thinks that he should be my best friend and he is as well as Chip). Chip doesn't like to call people "best friends" for some reason that he's articulated to me before. But, I don't think that that reasoning applies to me . . . I know my place in his life and he knows his place in mine. Our friendship is unconditional and I can't think of anything that could happen that could change that.

The same is true with Honey. Yes, he's a husband and that inherently makes him likely to do incredibly stupid things that will piss me off. But, he is the one person who can do all of those things and still make me laugh my ass off . . . even if I don't want to. He's my "Honey" and I love him unconditionally too!

1 Comments:

Blogger Samantha said...

whoa! I am going through this same situation right now with my fiance. My really good friend S1 is a guy (i have a lot of guy friends)yet he lives in another state. My honey does not like him at all, Says S1 is immature (he's 53, young at heart and married). S1 is like a father figure to me, he helped me through the death of my father, my divorce, and my move out of state.
S1 and I used to party like rock stars with the bike team we are on including the occasional skinny dip. My honey says no 'father' skinny dips with his daughter. He asked me not to have any more contact with S1 cause it made him uncomfortable. I don't like that and we are working on a compromise. I hope things continue to work out for you. I believe men and women can be 'just friends'. Good Luck!

11:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home