Monday, October 10, 2005

All about me . . .

I'm in my late twenties and have a relatively new job (although I am currently waiting to hear about another one) and a brand new husband. Mine has been a rather interesting ride, though not particularly wild so to speak.

I am the older of two children in my family. My sister is 3 years younger than I am and is a total free spirit. I, on the other hand, have always traveled the straight and narrow. I always did what I was supposed to, went above and beyond and was essentially the model child. Yes, I definitely acted out on occasion, but I am nothing like my little sister.

I've always been very strong academically, socially and in all things that I have done (at least until law school). When I was getting my bar exam application ready, I had to get character letters from people who had known me for 10 years or something like that. One of my letters was from a family friend who described me as having "the midas touch" in which everything that I did, I did extremely well. Interesting that someone would say that about me during one of the darkest times in my life.

During the first week of law school, I came to the realization that it was not the place for me. But, despite my best efforts, I ended up finishing 3 years later. In the meantime, but for a few shining moments, law school was a total nightmare and 3 years that I wish that I could literally erase from my mind and life, though I will say that I grew and learned a lot personally about myself that I don't know would have happened in any other situation. So, it wasn't an entire waste.

I went through boughts of depression (though never suicidal) and really questioned my self-worth and my abilities. I thought that I was a total fraud. All of these people thought so highly of me, but I wasn't producing the sterling grades and building the foundation for this super, high-powered legal career that everyone (myself included) was expecting. I felt like a total failure and I didn't know what I was going to do with myself. In the meantime, I met my very best friend, Chip, and the person that I consider to be my soulmate. I don't think that I would have made it out of law school without him . . . hell, I probably wouldn't have made it through a lot of things without him.

Since graduating law school, it's been quite a roller coaster ride. As I said in my profile, I am "searching" and one of the things that I am searching for is meaningful work in my life. What I am doing now is meaningful--I'm a consultant for a small state organization focused on education. But, between the politics involved in the organization and my crazy ass boss, I don't know that I will ever be able to fully do what it is that I would like to do to make a meaningful contribution to people's lives. Plus, I like it, but I don't see myself there indefinitely, at least not the way things currently are.

There's so much more to share about me, but I think that it's rather much for one posting. It's a little background into who I am I suppose.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home