Tuesday, November 15, 2005

My New Job!!!

I finally started my new job as Director of Recruitment. It's been an overwhelming 7 days, but I think that I'm going to like this job. I can definitely see where it could be a bit frustrating at times. But, it's nothing that I cannot handle and I have definitely handled some miserable circumstances.

Today I had my first I hope I did the right thing moment. The Director of another division of the company called to ask me to help her out with this reception that she's hosting tonight and that the president will be there, blah, blah, blah. Well, I have two things to say about that. First, if it's reception where the president of the company is going to be there, you knew about this long before and could have told me you wanted me to be there. Second, barring some dire emergency, you cannot call people at the last minute and expect that they will be available. You just can't. Having said all of that, let me give you the background interaction that I have had with this particular individual.

She's one of those women who thinks that she is more important and most importantly more fabulous than she really is. When I came here for the second round of interviews, she was part of the team of folks who was in on it. Now, I think that I have mentioned this before, but this is my 5th job in 2 years. Needless to say, I was anticipating that my "job-hopping" would come up during the course of discussion. What I didn't anticipate was the way it would be brought up.

This woman, Leslie, says, "So, you've had quite a few jobs over the last several years. Why should we think that you would take this job and stay here if another opportunity were to come along (or something along that line)?" It wasn't so much that she asked it, but it was the way in which she did it. It was totally that condescending I don't really know why you're wasting my time kind of thing. Needless to say, that didn't leave me with a very good impression. Further, I specifically asked if there was much interaction between her office and what is now my office. She said that there really hadn't been much. So, quite frankly, I wasn't sure why her stank ass was in on my interview. But, it is very possible that I will be doing more with her office (which is an office of one because everyone that previously worked there has left) since this is a full-time dedicated position now. So, it should be rather interesting. At this point, however, I don't particularly care for her at all!!! I should also mention, as further background, I actually interviewed for her position a few years ago. I was the first choice for the folks who had been doing the actual selection of candidates. However, Leslie was an internal person that was favored by the previous president and he decided to go with her instead. I just found out that little tid-bit of info, so it really doesn't have a significant baring on the way that I feel about her.

Other than her, I think that this could be a good fit. I am reserving final comment on how I feel about it for 30 days. On December 7th, I will render my final verdict. Either way, whether I like it or not, I have to stay . . . at least through on recruitment season. So, I hope my final analysis is a good one. Back to work I go. Until next time . . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home