Wednesday, November 16, 2005

The New Job Thus Far . . .

Sometimes I wonder if there is something wrong with me. I need to be stimulated in the things that I do, particularly work. But, when I actually have things to do, I am uninterested and often bored. I know that this is only my 8th day at my new job, but I guess I'm sort of lost for lack of a better word.

On my first day, my supervisor was not in so the person who had the job before me took me under and did what she could to get me acclimated. But, there were administrative things that I would think would have been done or at least would have been well on there way to being done in preparation for my arrival. Let me be clear, I didn't need a grand entrance or anything. But, it would have been a bit more comforting if things had been a bit more organized when I began.

So while Mary has been showing me the ropes, introducing me to people and setting up meetings for me to understand what folks do and become familiar with the people with whom I will be working, she has her own stuff to do in her new office. I want to talk with her and go over things with her, but I also don't want to be pain in her you know what. This week has definitely been an orientation of sorts.

The question that I find myself going over and over in my head is "Is there something wrong with me that I keep going into jobs that seem so wonderful only to be disappointed?" Now, as I said, I am reserving final judgment for when I have been here for about a month. But, I can't help but be a little disappointed in the lack of attentiveness that I have been getting from my immediate supervisor in regard to ensuring that my office, computer and other administrative things had been handled prior to my arrival. I don't think that I, as the new person, should have to call information technology to have my computer set up or spend my time getting my phone access and privleges set up. Why should I have to be responsible for creating my own business cards, stationary,etc.? Shit, he didn't even bother to order my name plate for my door . . . I had to run around doing that and other things that I think were a total waste of time that could be spent getting acclimated to the new job.

Fortunately for me, I have been around this place before and know or at least am familiar with a lot of the folks that make things happen. Plus, I am the kind of person who will make things happen despite the silliness that I often find myself dealing with. And maybe because I am familiar with this place, he and the other folks that I would think would be responsible for these kinds of things, might have just figured that I would be fine. But, suppose I didn't know anything about this company? Would that be the first impression that they would want to leave a new employee with?

Now, maybe this has absolutely nothing to do with it, but I wonder if I had been a white man if they would have just thrown me in the water to see if I could swim? All just things to think about and keep in the back of one's mind from time to time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home